“Mastery of the law is a given at this firm. The unique value added is the outstanding judgment and insight the partners provide in addressing all aspects of trust administration and planning.”
- Robert J. Darretta, Retired Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors and Chief Financial Officer, Johnson & Johnson
The firm has one of the most comprehensive trusts and estates practices in the State of New Jersey. Effective counseling in this area requires creativity, common sense and a thorough knowledge of income and estate tax laws. Our attorneys possess broad experience, most of our attorneys hold master of law degrees in taxation.
Counseling and Drafting
Utilizing their experience and specialized training, our attorneys are constantly developing and applying innovative solutions to effectuate wealth transfer in a tax-effective manner. The estate planning services provided by the firm include:
- Preparing trusts and wills;
- Minimizing estate and gift taxes;
- Implementing estate planning documents to provide for generational transfers to lineal beneficiaries;
- Structuring gift giving programs;
- Planning for acquisition and disposition of insurance proceeds and retirement plan benefits;
- Coordinating transfer and governance for family business interests; and
- Structuring tax-effective vehicles for charitable giving.
Our attorneys work closely with each client's accountant, investment counselor, insurance professionals and other advisors to ensure that the client's estate planning needs are coordinated in the broader context of overall business and personal financial planning. Our familiarity with a wide range of charitable giving techniques enables us to create favorable financial plans for our clients, including many public charities and private foundations. We use sophisticated, tax-favored techniques, including establishment of public charities and private foundations, gifting of appreciated assets, and use of charitable lead and charitable remainder trusts. Our attorneys also possess broad experience in resolving controversies with taxing authorities.
Fiduciary and Probate Litigation
Our litigators and trusts and estates counsel work together in a coordinated approach to identify potential issues and resolve them through whatever means are appropriate and effective. If litigation is necessary to achieve a client’s goals, our skilled courtroom advocates are prepared to take an aggressive posture, presenting matters of any magnitude and complexity in the courtroom. The substantive knowledge of our litigators regarding trust and estate issues provides them with an invaluable advantage in developing and implementing successful litigation strategies.